Job Title: Conference Manager, IBTM Portfolio
Reporting to: Portfolio Director
Based at: Richmond, Surrey, UK
About RX Global
RX is in the business of building businesses for individuals, communities and organisations. We elevate the power of our face-to-face events by combining data & digital products to help customers learn about markets, source products and complete transactions at over 400 events in 22 countries across 43 industry sectors. RX is passionate about making a positive impact on society and is fully committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all our people. RX is part of RELX, a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers.
The IBTM Portfolio is some of RX’s most well-known brands. This role will cover the following shows:
IBTM World, the leading global event for the meetings and events industry, is the must-attend three-day event for the worldwide meeting, incentives, conference and events industry. Thousands of meetings and events buyers, suppliers and international trade media visit Fira Barcelona every December for IBTM’s flagship show, with over 74,000 business meetings taking place.
IBTM Asia Pacific, the leading event for the meetings and events industry in Asia Pacific, is the must-attend two-day event for the region’s meeting, incentives, conference and events industry.
IBTM Latam, the leading event for the meetings and events industry in Latin America, is the must-attend two-day event for the region’s meeting, incentives, conference and events industry.
Support on other portfolio WTM and ATM shows.
We are seeking a high-calibre, energetic and enthusiastic individual to take on a Conference Manager role to define, develop and deliver the conference strategy for both brands in this travel portfolio. This exciting and creative role is ideally suited for a conference producer with proven experience of shaping and delivering successful multi-faceted programmes who is keen to take on a key role that offers a high degree of autonomy and accountability.
Team Structure: Conference Manager, Event Directors, Portfolio Director
Job Purpose: Contribute to the success of IBTM’s by creating, developing and implementing the conference strategy and delivery (both physical and digital), providing improved value and learning for our customers.
Key skills / responsibilities:
Conference Development & Strategy
- Take a strategic view of the positioning of the conference(s) and provide direction to the events’ content programmes and formats
- Keep up to date with broader developments within the industries served
- Build understanding of key conference topics / awareness of how they relate to the event(s)
- Conduct research to develop strong knowledge of industry sectors through desktop research, surveys, telephone interviews, advisory groups, external client meetings and targeted attendance at other events (physical and digital)
- Shape the overall intellectual content of conference agendas based upon the results of this extensive research and the needs of the event strategy
- Investigate and generate new topic ideas in alignment with industry trends to create conference agendas that meet the needs of the target audiences
- Develop strategic awareness through monitoring of the competition and the broader market
- Identify gaps in the market for our content programmes to explore
- Generate new topic ideas and plan research to determine their feasibility
- Manage the conference committees, recruiting new members when necessary
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders – exhibitors, committee members, advisors, associations – and liaise with senior level industry professionals as part of the content development and delivery
- Work with external partners and consultants to leverage their knowledge and networks to develop the programmes
- Identify influential trade associations and other possible partners and develop relationships to aid content delivery and development
- Manage and analyse event feedback to measure effectiveness and satisfaction, and to identify opportunities to innovate and improve the content
- Develop new feedback mechanisms to assess quality of live and virtual content
- Assist the other conference managers in developing the shared conference executive resource in RXPH (Manila) to the level of an independently operating team that can facilitate conference administrative tasks autonomously
Conference Production and Delivery:
- Full conference management and administration of the seminars, conferences and awards events across the shows, including the shared management of a centralised executive resource (RXPH) to achieve these aims
- Identify, recruit and confirm suitable speakers, chairs and committee members to deliver the programmes’ aims
- Build relationships with speakers, chairs and committee members, liaising with them during the event cycle when relevant
- Ensure speakers are briefed on the required content of their presentation(s)
- Negotiate speakers’ expenses/fees where necessary
- Maintain fully updated programmes, speaker lists and speaker biographies
- Contribute to copy for conference brochures/other promotional material as appropriate
- Oversee design of any conference collateral ensuring key points are emphasised
- Update all marketing, sales and operations teams with programmes and speaker information in a timely fashion
- Upload and update all conference agendas on the event websites
- Onsite management/ownership for the running order, schedule & conference agenda
- Accountability for developing the production timeline to ensure conference programmes are delivered on time, working with event directors and marketing managers to integrate the production schedule into the overall event schedule
- Manage workload to hit deadlines
- Explore new ways of delivering content onsite for the best audience experience
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Good knowledge and experience as a conference producer
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong research and analysis skills
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong influencing and diplomacy skills
- Excellent copy-writing skills
- Able to work under pressure and prepared to focus all efforts to meet deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a wider team with key internal and external stakeholders
- Highly organised and able to multi-task and manage your time excellently
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Knowledge/experience working within the publishing industry a bonus