About RX Global
RX is in the business of building businesses for individuals, communities and organisations. We elevate the power of face-to-face events by combining data and digital products to help customers learn about markets, source products and complete transactions at over 400 events in 22 countries across 43 industry sectors. RX is passionate about making a positive impact on society and is fully committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all our people.
RX is part of RELX, a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. www.rxglobal.com
RELX is a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers. The Group serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in about 40 countries. It employs over 33,000 people, of whom almost half are in North America.
Background to the role
Within RX, we are building a global Digital Centre of Excellence which aims to place digital technology at the centre of the events business. Our goals are to roll out and further develop our global events platform, grow digital product revenues, and identify and grow new digital business opportunities that will in turn help our customers to grow their businesses. The Centre of Excellence represents an exciting opportunity for a customer-focused digital product innovation leader who wants to help lead and grow a new team that will have global impact, taking advantage of a new global momentum around connecting and trading digitally, and supporting a wide range of industry sectors to build their businesses back better after the pandemic.
About the Head of Customer Discovery & Innovation
The Head of Customer Discovery and Innovation is a leadership role within our Digital Centre of Excellence who will lead a small discovery-focused team to identify, validate and conduct early-stage testing of potential new digital business opportunities for RX. It reports to the Chief Digital Product Officer.
In this role, you will accelerate innovation by leading a small team to identify new potential business areas for RX, mainly centred around the opportunity to create data and analytics products that help our customers bring new products to market more quickly and to grow their customer base. You will explore our priority growth sectors around the world, to understand our B2B customer needs and identify opportunities to help them better understand their markets and business opportunities. You will be able to understand how businesses use data to make decisions, to develop an understanding of different customer personas, and map customer decision-making journeys. You will have a strategic mindset that can drive research to estimate the size of potential markets, map the competitor landscape, and help teams to define potential competitive advantages for a new product . You will bring a fresh pair of eyes and challenge existing assumptions, and you will be able to apply both data and past experiences in deciding when to nurture a new idea to greatness, and when to pivot or stop pursuing projects that are not a good fit for RX.
You will have a small team consisting of an analyst and a user/UX researcher with the potential to hire others as needed. In addition you will work hand-in-hand with product, technology and business development colleagues, depending on the idea to be validated. RX benefits from a strong customer insights team and a global panel of customers with whom we collaborate to develop and test new ideas. You will champion design thinking principles, tackling the biggest risks early in projects, and working with our global teams to bring customer-centric, data-driven approaches to bear on problems.
The skills and experiences we’re looking for are:
- A passion for, and ability to empathise with, customers
- Experience in leading customer discovery projects, using design thinking to map customer journeys, identify pain points, sketch out new ideas and work with teams to produce and test prototypes
- Experience working with agile software development teams to test and iterate new products, with ability to use different approaches to validate assumptions and test risks at different stages of the product development journey
- Comfort with using data to map markets and assess competitive positioning
- An independent mindset that will challenge business teams and ensure we rigorously test hypotheses and support them with data
- Ability to prioritise across multiple projects, meet deadlines, and delivery to a high standard
- Strong presentation skills, including to a senior executive audience
- Strong stakeholder management skills, to drive insights through to impact with a range of teams including product, sales and marketing teams, as well as presenting to C-level leadership
- Confident user of typical tools used in the product discovery process, including creativity tools like Miro and prototyping tools like Invision
- Understanding of e-commerce or ad tech would be desirable but not essential
- A passion for developing others, and experience in coaching and mentoring a small cross-functional team, helping them to learn new skills and balance competing priorities
Specifically we would also like you to have at least a Bachelor’s degree, with a preference for subjects related to design, innovation or business. An MBA would be a plus. We are also looking for a minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in similar or related roles, that could include innovation, customer discovery, product management, market research or design strategy / applying design thinking.
At RX we are a global, diverse business that values different backgrounds. We know that not everyone may meet every requirement but if you think you have most of what we’re looking for, please apply and we’ll look forward to talking with you! We are happy to discuss flexible working arrangements including part-time so that we can accommodate different candidate needs.