Software Engineer III - Java or Scala
Would you like to help create products to support the sharing of scientific knowledge?
Do you enjoy collaborating to solve complex technical problems?
About our Team
Recommenders is Elsevier’s suite of recommendation systems, which uses Data Science and machine learning techniques to keep researchers appraised of developments in their field, new funding opportunities, finding peer reviewers and papers related to their work.
About the Role
Our systems analyze Elsevier’s unparalleled collection of research data, delivering insights which enable the scientific community to collaborate more effectively, work smarter, and deliver quality research more quickly. We’re looking for an innovative, passionate developer to work as part of the small team helping to make our data sing. You'll develop applications leveraging our unique collection of scientific data, and work on products throughout Elsevier.
• Designing, prototyping, and implementing robust recommendation applications using best-practice agile development processes
• Working with technologies including Scala, Spark, and Kubernetes
• Building cloud infrastructure in AWS to host and monitor the applications, automating common tasks mercilessly
• Collaborating as part of a tight-knit, agile, quality-focused team to deliver tangible value to our customers
• Excellent programming skills on the JVM with either Java 8+ or Scala
• An advocate of agile practices for rapid development of quality software, such as CI, TDD, and continuous deployment
• Comfortable learning new technologies, languages, and tools on the job, to ensure that the product is not left behind in a rapidly evolving ecosystem
• An inclusive, positive, collaborative mindset and a desire to deliver real business value to our customers
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organisation. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, shared parental leave, study assistance and sabbaticals, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and your long-term goals.
· Working flexible hours - flexing the times when you work in the day to help you fit everything in and work when you are the most productive
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
At Elsevier, we know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
· Generous holiday allowance with the option to buy additional days
· Health screening, eye care vouchers and private medical benefits
· Well-being programs
· Life assurance
· Access to a competitive contributory pension scheme
· Long service awards
· Save As You Earn share option scheme
· Travel Season ticket loan
· Maternity, paternity and shared parental leave
· Access to emergency care for both the elderly and children
· RE CARES days, giving you time to support the charities and causes that matter to you
· Access to employee resource groups with dedicated time to volunteer
· Access to extensive learning and development resources
· Access to employee discounts via Perks at Work
Working for you
A global leader in information and analytics, we help researchers and healthcare professionals advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. Building on our publishing heritage, we combine quality information and vast data sets with analytics to support visionary science and research, health education and interactive learning, as well as exceptional healthcare and clinical practice. At Elsevier, your work contributes to the world’s grand challenges and a more sustainable future. We harness innovative technologies to support science and healthcare to partner for a better world.
Are you ready to help us progress science and health? Our technology leads to innovation, so join a forward-thinking digital business that is tackling world-scale challenges and align your ambitions with our passion for driving global knowledge-sharing.